Friday, November 6, 2009

Show Us Your Life - Thanksgiving Recipes and Traditions

Oh my goodness... I can't believe Thanksgiving is in 3 short weeks, but I can't wait! Thanksgiving is always held at my aunt Tina's house and my grandparents always come down from Kentucky for the week! We have every dish possible...Turkey, Ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, green bean casserole, stuffing, broccoli casserole, corn, carrots, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, yams, macaroni, bread, pecan pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and oh so much more! I love it! Every year we usually eat around 2 or 3 and the all the girls study the sales ads to know where we need to go for black friday! The girls in the family meet up around 4 or 4:30 in the morning on Friday and shop ALL day! I know a lot of people don't like it, but we always enjoy spending the day together and getting bargins.
Well this year is going to be a little different.  We are loading up in the car and going to Indianapolis to visit my uncle and his family for Turkey Day! There will be around 20 -25 of us and I know it will be such a good time! The Friday after we going to Chicago for the day and I'm so excited! I'm hoping we can start making this a family tradition every year to go and visit them!
As far as recipes go I don't really have many.  I usually bring a couple of side dishes but they are all easy and I'm sure you all have heard of them and know how to make them. My dad makes the best yams and they are to die for but I don't have the recipe with me. My aunt and sister prepare a lot of the meals but again I don't have their recipes! So I'll leave you with my specialty: (I think the recipe is even on the can of greens beans)
 Green Bean Casserole

2 or 3 cans french style green beans
2/3 cup milk
1 can cream of mushroom
1/2 can fried onions
pepper

Mix all the ingredients together
(as far as the pepper goes, I just pour to my liking)
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
Sprinkle top with the other 1/2 of the fried onions and bake for 5 more minutes

Simple as that! Which is probably the reason I bring it every year!

No comments: